We recognise that students invest five to seven years of their time at Fort Pitt Grammar School, trusting that they will receive a first-class learning experience. We believe that their commitment and desire to achieve should be matched by excellent facilities and an environment that is safe, friendly and conducive to learning.
We offer our students:
An Excellent Environment
Fort Pitt enjoys one of the most picturesque and stimulating settings of any school in the country. From its vantage at the top of Fort Pitt Hill, our site commands stunning views across the Medway, offering students a real sense of history amid the natural environment.
Architecturally, the school is a dynamic blend of the traditional and modern. Some of our Grade II-listed buildings date back as far as the Crimean War, when Fort Pitt served as a military hospital. Our students embrace this heritage and take great pride in helping to keep the school clean and free from litter. More information about our history can be found here .
Inside the school, students enjoy a friendly yet purposeful atmosphere. Lessons take place across several buildings, with dedicated space and resources for subjects such as music and art. This modern ‘campus feel’ encourages students to get fresh air and appreciate their surroundings throughout the school day. At the same time as it fosters values of independence and organisation. We hope that all visitors feel welcome to call in and take the tour.
Students have access to the following academic facilities:
- Classrooms with fully equipped interactive whiteboards, audio/visual installations and full internet access.
- Four dedicated ICT suites, with PCs and portable equipment to support students in developing ICT skills and completing their coursework. In addition, Apple Mac suites support progress in Music, Art and Media Studies.
- A well stocked library where students can enjoy a quiet space for research and homework, as well as access to laptops and tablet PCs.
- A modern, purpose-built art block, with six dedicated classrooms covering graphics, fine art, ceramics, resistant materials and food technology.
- A sixth form centre with study, social and kitchen facilities.
- Eight state-of-the-art science laboratories, incorporating numerous interactive facilities.
- A dedicated music block, boasting a wide array of instruments and musical equipment in comfortable practice rooms.
- A lecture theatre – fully equipped with interactive technology and a seated capacity of 70 – offers an opportunity for large group lectures and activities.
As well as nurturing our students’ academic learning, Fort Pitt takes pride in providing excellent welfare support facilities. These include:
- Sports facilities. The school has a large playing field for students to enjoy outdoor sports, including a hard court area for netball and tennis. There is also a large modern sports hall equipped for five-a-side football, netball, korfball and volleyball, as well as four badminton courts. In addition to sporting activities, all students can use the indoor gym for floor activities, and older students are invited to take advantage of the dedicated fitness suite.
- A dining room kitted out with relaxed café-style seating and modern decor. A wide range of healthy and delicious food is on offer throughout the day, from breakfast through to lunchtime. This social area is used before and after school, as well as break and lunchtimes.
- Water units located at various points throughout the school. Students are encouraged to stay hydrated throughout the day and bring water into lessons.
- A main hall. Facing the front of the school, the main hall is the focal point of the school, used for assemblies, meetings and the many performances that take place throughout the school year.
Students attending Fort Pitt deserve the very best facilities and the school strives to develop and improve the excellent facilities every year.